Summary!


So to summarise the way food is perceived and distributed in these novels, depends much on the social, historical and economic period that they are set. It is important for us as readers to recognise the history behind the plot, and why the author has written the book from a certain perspective. “It was suggested that food behaviour should not be viewed simply as “food habits” or foods consumed, but as part of a paradigm of systemic relationships which include eco-historical and socio-cultural determinants of behavioural patterns which have cultural meanings” (138). From ingredients to nutritional value to where the food is eaten, all of these factors must be taken into consideration when reading these novels and thinking about why certain people are eating/being given certain foods. The difference between the ways people on the social hierarchy ate is clear throughout these novels, including that black people were still placed below the poorest of white people. I found looking into these novels so interesting, as some of my all-time favourites, I looked more at the plot and did not focus on the food. However I have now realised that food is essential in moving the plot forwards. I hope you all enjoyed! J

Comments